Sonic Boom • Toronto ON

Sunday, May 18, 2008

512 Bloor Street West
(416) 532-0334
www.sonicboommusic.com
Sonic Boom's been around for years, but I'd never been there 'til a couple of months ago cuz I hadn't heard much good about it. My wife hates the incessant clackity-clack of CDs being rummaged through, but thankfully the vinyl is in the basement away from the racket. As I mentioned in a previous post, there's lots of new Black Metal and Stoner Rock LPs, but those don't interest me in the slightest. The used vinyl ranges from terribly abused GIUFFRIA and HELIX records to pristine but common MOTORHEAD records. Real rarities are hard to come by at Sonic Boom, cuz I have a feeling that the bins are regularly picked over by downtown hipster douchebags, unlike the stores that're in the middle of nowhere (Ric's Collectibles, Discovery Records, etc.)... but that doesn't mean you can't get lucky every now and then. I've found some decent records, that are in great shape, and they're reasonably priced ($10-$15), but more often than not I leave empty handed. The store is HUGE, and if you're looking for Metal CDs the selection is enormous, the Punk vinyl section is pretty big too but it looks like it's 95% new and re-issues. Sonic Boom is OK, but I've never flipped out over how many awesome records they have like I do every time I'm at Ric's.

1 comments:

zach said...

yeah, too much new stuff for me. and too many cd's. i spent a long time walking to the store and was some what disappointed. i did buy one record though.