TAIPAN • Taipan EP

Monday, May 19, 2008

Bullet Records 1981
It kinda bugs me when people call bands that aren't English NWOBHM... but I don't know what else to call TAIPAN cuz I'm pretty sure there was never a NWOAHM (New Wave Of Australian Heavy Metal). There's that, and the fact that they sound just like yer typical NWOBHM band, and they were around during the NWOBHM surge. However... as sacreligious as it might be, I find most NWOBHM to be utterly forgettable, and TAIPAN are anything but. Like many of the early (good) bands of the movement, they combine hard rock with the rawness and energy of Punk Rock... unlike the glut of shitty bands that flooded the market in later years. Opener "Breakout" is a prime example of this winning combo: it's simplistic and kinda sloppy, with an absolutely infectious chorus, and phenomenal vocals. The next 2 tracks are similarly upbeat and totally memorable, while "The Cellar" finishes things off on a slightly different note. It's a mid-paced pounder, that's dark and menacing and is the stand-out amongst all the great songs on this record. This is a must download for NWOAHM fans.
DOWNLOAD: Taipan - Taipan.rar (26.59 MB)

4 comments:

Erich said...

After I downloaded this, I realized that this is another long lost treasure of mine. In the mid 80s I decided I had to fully concentrate on HC and Punk, so I sold 99% of my Metal collection. How fucking dumb was I?! So this is one of the records I had totally forgotten about and that is reason enough for me to say "thank you" and "kisses" and such. will have to buy the original vinyl immediately! same goes for theincredible sound barrier lp, btw, although that was is totally new to me.

Alcolm X said...

Someone is selling the original (I'm assuming) Australian 7" version of this record on eBay right now. Here's the link. I have a feeling that it's gonna fetch a high price... but who knows.

Alcolm X said...

I did the same thing re: selling albums 'cept in reverse. I sold lots of my old Punk records in order to afford my new (at the time) Metal addiction. Some of them I don't care about ('cept that they're worth a bunch of $ and I sold 'em for next to nothing), but others I'm really kicking myself for selling... and even worse, like you and the TAIPAN record, there's many that I've completely forgotten.

Erich said...

Thanks for the link, Malcolm! Have to have this!

As for Punk records you used to have and don't remember - just check my blog, there's plenty of old Punk stuff.