EXISES • Exises LP

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Medusa Records 1986
I wasn't too sure what to make of this record when I picked it up. The cover's got a kinda futuristic African tribal vibe, and I have no idea how that relates to a Dutch melodic Metal band... but whatever, that wasn't gonna stop me from wasting my money! EXISES are a weird band, very melodic, technical and commercial, yet still very much a Metal band. They incorporate each of these disparate elements without any of them sounding forced or compromised. The guitar player is fantastic. His playing and the band's anthemic songwriting call to mind early SAGA... add to that a touch of SAXON, a pinch of ACCEPT, and a smidge of RUSH and you'd be getting close to the EXISES sound. The Simmons drums really date this record, but somehow they still work by adding to that futuristic vibe the cover hints at. This is another surprisingly enjoyable record... I'm slowly starting to realize that the Dutch pretty much ruled at Metal in the 80's.
DOWNLOAD: Exises-Exises.rar (66.18 MB)

6 comments:

Aesop said...

African Tribal Futuristic Rush and Simmons Drums? Fuck Fuck Fuck I'm so there.

Anonymous said...

I bought this LP brand new a couple of months ago for 1 euro and haven't actually heard it yet, so I'm going to download it.

Did I already say this is the greatest blog ever? Thanks and keep it up, man!

Robert said...

Bet you didn't you know this was the first ever Dutch metal album to be released on cd. Took 'em 10 years to release the follow-up Reternity; a sci-fi concept album.

Great blog by the way! Takes me back...

Wim

Alcolm X said...

Is the follow up any good?

Robert said...

Find out for yourself. I just found this link: http://mazoplan-liquidprogressions.blogspot.com/2008/10/exises-reternity-1996.html

Alcolm X said...

Thanks wim.