WILD DOGS • Wild Dogs LP

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Shrapnel Records 1983
"Every once in a while a new and exciting group will smash onto the scene, blow our minds, and make us wonder how we got along without them. This LP is a prime example; exploding with manic frenzy, searing hot guitar, and mesmerizing charisma. WILD DOGS provide the ultimate Metal for those who like it hot, fast, and hard!" Now I dunno about all that ballyhoo and hyperbole, cuz I got along just fine without this record, but what WILD DOGS do deliver is a more than decent slabba good old Metal. I expected it to be more like the DR. MASTERMIND record (Matt McCourt and Deen Castronovo were in both bands), with it's over the top guitar playing, ludicrous lyrics, and high energy Metal mayhem, but Wild Dogs is much more of a trad Metal record. Don't worry, Castronovo still abuses his kit with aplomb, and McCourt is every bit the clichéd Metal frontman, but it lacks a the insanity and outright silliness of DR. MASTERMIND. Still, a solid debut from these Oregon Metal mofos.
DOWNLOAD: WildDogs-WildDogs.rar (67.65 MB)

9 comments:

Robert said...

Great post! I loved this album when I bought it in 1982 and it took me over 20 years before knowing it's NOT the mighty Deen Castronovo on drums here. He joined after the recording - just in time for the photo shoot. The drummer you hear is Jaime St. James, who later became Black 'N' Blue's lead singer. I found out from the cd liner notes. Nevertheless, this is a US metal classic. And you could do worse than spending a coupla dollars on their 2nd & 3rd album (even though McCourt isn't on the latter).

P.S. Any chance of posting Le Mans' On The Streets?

Alcolm X said...

Hey Wim,
Sorry, I don't have the LE MANS record you're after.
It makes sense that it's not Castronovo on this record. The drummer is great, but not completely over-the-top like Castronovo.

Anonymous said...

.....just happened to stumble across this blog while doing a search for a Toronto band called "Hateful Snake". I didn't find any of their tunes here, but there's a ton of great metal shit to listen to, thanks so much for the ups.

Alcolm X said...

Hey Bazooka. Let me know if you find any HATEFUL SNAKE stuff elsewhere. I've been looking too, but with no luck.

Anonymous said...

.....OK, I'll let you know. I looked at some of your older posts, and noticed you dig metal on vinyl-I live in Whitby, and there's a flea market called "This and That" which has several merchants that sell vinyl. One in particular has a great selection of hard rock/metal stuff from the 80's. There's also a container located in the parking lot with a few thousand records inside-if you have the time to sift through the rows and rows, there's some great little gems to be found for real cheap......

Alcolm X said...

I checked out This & That last summer and came away with a couple of cool records - and very cheap! You really have to have a lot of time to kill if you're planning to check it out thoroughly though.

Unknown said...

If you haven't checked out Reign of Terror from Wild Dogs yet, you should...

Dave G said...

I just found a copy of this Lp in the used bin today for a couple bucks, and was snooping around online for some info about the band. I was about 4 songs in when it ocurred to me I was liking this and thinking hey I wonder if anyone else likes it lol. Thanks for confirming that my ears were not deceiving me.

Anonymous said...

Thanx a lot!