STATORS • ...Never Too Late LP

Friday, February 26, 2010

Axe Killer Records 1985
One night at work, being beyond bored, I decided that come hell or high water I was going to solve one of Metal photo mysteries posted over at the always entertaining Test Your Metal blog. I literally spent hours researching and cross-referencing bands, photos, labels, discographies, and finally my hard work paid off... in spades! No, not really, but I did discover that the band in the cornball photo was France's own STATORS. And so it is that I felt overly acquainted with a band I'd never heard when I happened upon this record a couple of days ago. I can happily report that their wacky band photos are no indicator of the cool NWOBHM styled tracks STATORS have laid down here. I really dig the French vocal inflections (reminds me of the mighty SORTILEGE), and the well written songs are chock fulla interesting riffs and great lead breaks. I certainly did not expect to enjoy this record as much as I do. Good stuff, definitely worth a shot.
DOWNLOAD: Stators-NeverTooLate.rar (62.88 MB)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. that's dedication, and with a comparison to Sortilege to boot!! I thought it was cool a few years ago when I deciphered a coded message inside the booklet of an Xbox game (Halo 2) by creating my on codex for the symbols (hours of work that was, as there was a symbol for every letter in the alphabet). Years later, I discovered I could have just looked at the online Wiki for it instead of figuring that shit out for myself. As for cornball photos, I always thought the band "Adrenaline O.D." had some of the worst, but they were comedic punk/speedcore (a la "The Dayglo Abortions"), so it isn't much of a stretch in their case. I've also heard of this Axe Killer label before too, but don't they just do re-issues now?

Alcolm X said...

I seem to recall some of the wacky hijinks in AOD photos, but you're right, their music backed it up... or vice versa. Apparently Axe Killer resurfaced in the 90s with a bunch of reissues... I think I even have a couple. Really nice packaging if memory serves - nice for a CD that is.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that on my re-issue of Dark Angel's "We Have Arrived". Jimmy Durkin, of the band itself, would do a better CD re-issue with the artwork found on the original U.S. pressing (the one with the crazy grave robber)adorning the digipak CD case cover, but I kept the french one too, because it had different mastering. Yep, I'm a dork like that. Just don't get me started on Star Trek unless you want to see the true extent of my dorkiness. In any case, thanks for the clarification.

Zealot Crusader said...

I just recently unpacked this .RAR, and it told me it was corrupt. I'm downloading it again just to see if it was my computer that corrupted it, or if it was already that way. I'll post update in a few minutes.

Zealot Crusader said...

Nope, the upload is fine. It's just my damned computer being retarded and corrupting .RAR archives when I Cut+Paste them into different drives. Ugh.. maybe I shouldn't have so many different HDD's in one tower..