MICHAEL MONROE • Nights Are So Long LP

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Yahoo! Records 1987
HANOI ROCKS seem to have a polarizing effect on people: you either love 'em or you hate 'em. I think I was in the 6th or 7th grade when I saw Michael Monroe interviewed on a local TV show called The New Music, and ever since I've been firmly entrenched in the love 'em camp. Nights Are So Long was Monroe's first post-HANOI ROCKS solo outting (Night Are SOLO ng... get it?) and it's pretty darn good. Monroe's vocals are stronger (i.e. more in key) than any of his previous recorded output, and the band, though at times sounding a bit stiff, is clearly fulla great musicians (including MOTT THE HOOPLE's Ian Hunter). The bulk of Nights Are So Long is made up of covers by the FLAMIN' GROOVIES, MC5, JOHNNY THUNDERS, and a few written by DEAD BOYS alums Jimmy Zero, Stiv Bators, and Frank Secich, with only one or two crediting Monroe. If you like HANOI ROCKS, you're sure to dig this, otherwise (if my theory holds true) you'll hate it.
DOWNLOAD: MichaelMonroe-NightAreSoLong.rar (63.25 MB)

3 comments:

Zealot Crusader said...

I wonder if the record label this was put out on is was in any way linked to the people would would later create the web service with the same name (even using the exclamation point). Probably not, but it's funny to think about. Not a huge fan of this type of Rock/Metal, but I don't hate it. Nonetheless, I think I'll pass mainly because it may only get played on leap-years if I add it to my collection.

Anonymous said...

I seen Monroe in Toronto last month, was a great concert!
Thanks for sharing

Alcolm X said...

Shit!!! I missed it! Didn't even hear about it. Where'd they play?