RAZOR • Malicious Intent LP

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Viper Records 1986
Following hot on the heels of 1985's Evil Invaders, the album that is arguably RAZOR's defining moment, came Malicious Intent. The band doesn't stray far from their previous effort's winning formula: Dave Carlo's guitar playing is still tight as all hell, Sheepdog's voice is a tortured howl, and, if you can imagine it, M-Bro sounds even worse! Jesus that guy was a crap drummer. Though all the elements are present (including Mike Campagnolo's moustache) Malicious Intent pales in comparison to Evil Invaders mainly because of a poor production job. Everything is a bit too clean and toned down, which tends to mute RAZOR's viciousness, and worse, it makes M-Bro's shortcomings behind the kit even more obvious. Still, it's a great record, and you'd be well advised to take Sheepdog's advice and turn it up! Turn it up! Louder! LOOUUDDDDDERRR!!!
DOWNLOAD: Razor-MaliciousIntent.rar (67.13 MB)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny that after saying a bunch of negative things about each member and he album production, you conclude that all in all it's a great record. I'm a die-hard Razor fan but I have to agree to most of what you said.

Alcolm X said...

My only complaint about this record is that the production is weak, and therefore it's not as heavy as Evil Invaders. As far as the members are concerned: RAZOR was a band whose whole was greater than the sum of it's parts i.e. M-Bro is garbage, but within the context of RAZOR it works (most of the time) and is even integral to their sound. Sheepdog is one of my all-time favourites, and Dave Carlo is insanely good with a characteristic and distinct playing style... no criticism of them whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

Loved this album,,at first I was incredbly shocked, sort of let down that the thicker / fuller sound from the Evil Invaders album was missing, but pretty quickly I didn;t care as it just caved in my head!

there are no bad songs..

I still wish I had the cd made a few years ago, had a bonus track called "M.O.S.H." which I think was silly Razor, like the song KMA (Kiss My ass)

By the way, I used to complain that Razor sucked with Bob Reid, but NOW! holy smoke! he sounds exactly like and rages a LOT like Sheepdog, maybe even more cutting and powerful than Sheepdog ever was!

Alcolm X said...

Before ripping Malicious Intent this week, it had been at least 20 years since I heard it, and now I can't stop listening to it! My head is probably on the verge of caving in too.

I've never given the Bob Reid records a chance mainly because there was one that used a drum machine, which is simply unforgivable, and so I abandoned all hope. Saw 'em live once and they sounded great. Bob was good, but couldn't match Sheepdog's crazy high pitched screams.

e said...

I realize this may be heresy on a metal journal, but if you wish to hear the proper use of a drum machine in a metal environment, listen to Kaos Krew, they are Finnish I believe.

Alcolm X said...

Funnily enough, almost every modern Metal record utilizes what basically amounts to a drum machine: ProTools, quantizing, triggers, and samples.

Zealot Crusader said...

I even heard a metal-core-ish type band that had a vocalist bending and smoothing his pitch with that auto-tune crap that Cher, hip-hop singers, and that Justin Bieber brat use. Terrible I tell ya, terrible, and my friends wonder why I don't buy any metal records by bands (outside of Europe) made after 1995...

Anonymous said...

This is the best Razor album I ever heard. Crap sound, bad musicians but I was listening it to the rags when I was a teen. Thank You!

Anonymous said...

can't believe you haven't paid attention to the post-sheepdog stuff, it's massive thrash.